Joe scripsit:

> Wait a minute - isn't an abjad a vowel-optional writing system, by
> definition?

Well, if you like.  But the Hebrew Bible is (normally) always written with
vowel marks, so does that mean that Biblical Hebrew is no longer written
with an abjad?  I would say that an abjad gives greater weight to consonants
than vowels, but abstain on the optional vs. required question.

--
"But I am the real Strider, fortunately,"       John Cowan
he said, looking down at them with his face     [log in to unmask]