Morgan Palaeo Associates scripsit:

> > As I recognised ('... certain mnemonic properties ...'). The problem is
> > also aesthetic, of course, but that hardly counts for much... But how
> > would you the equivalent of [d&:n(t)s]? Would you just have to say
> > '[d&:ns] or [d&:nts]'? Even '[d&:ns], [-nts]' seems awfully long-winded.
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to say. You seem to be asking me
> something about x-sampa [d{:n&tQs] (I don't have a cxs chart in front
> of me, sorry).

The point is that parens are used conventionally in IPA transcriptions
to indicate a sound which may or may not be pronounced; thus "dance"
may or may not have a [t] in it -- for me it definitely does, YPMV.
If you pre-empt them for sounds, you have to find a substitute for
this usage.

--
John Cowan                              <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.reutershealth.com            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan