Tristan McLeay wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Joe wrote:
>
> > >_doing_ spelling reform: Replace the Romanji Aplhabet
>
> I always thought the word was romaji. But Romanji makes more sense...
> (Either way it wouldn't've helped me link the name with 'roman' till I was
> explicitly told...) Am I utterly wrong here?

That's correct.  Technically, it's roomaji, but long vowels are often
ignored in borrowing Japanese words.  Derived from Rooma (Rome) + Ji
(character, letter).  I've also heard Eiji (Ei = English), but that's
rather non-standard.

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'.  Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -