Quoting Pavel Iosad <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hello,
>
> > In Swedish, the transliteration most commonly used is
> > 'Chrustjov', which is odd, since the "shch" thing is
> > otherwise normally 'sjtj'.
>
> And phonetically? [x] vs. [xC]? Or is it [xS]? I'd expect some kind of
> bloody assimilation, anyway.

You're asking how Swedes pronounce it?

Well, what I normally use (when not saying "Krusse", that is!), and think is
the most common is [kr8s'tSOf]. This clearly informed by some knowledge of the
translit system, since 'tj' normally isn't [tS] in Swedish, but it's used for
Russian 'ch' - _Tjajkovskij_ for Tchaikovsky, f'rinstance. Not that it's much
like the Russian ...

Also pretty common is [kr8'SOf], which I guess would make the Russians cringe
somewhat less. Sometimes I get an attack of relative accuracy, and say
[xru'SOf].

The trigraph 'stj' ought really to suggest [x], but I don't think I've heard
[kru'xof] or similar.

The quadragraph 'sjtj' flaunts Swedish spelling conventions - 'sj' should
always be followed by a vowel. One might have expected it to be [xS], but it's
so obviously foreign that, if I had nothing else to go by, I would assume
Default Poorly Transliterated Furn pronunciation, and say [StS]. Which I guess
isn't too bad, given Polish 'szcz'. I can't think of any other name or word
with it in you hear with any frequency. Being tainted by knowledge by the
Russian pronunciation, I'd read it as [S] if I had to say such a word aloud.

All transcriptions above are loose - insert standard comments of 'lectal
variation and various realizations /r/.

                                             Andreas