En réponse à Tristan McLeay :

>I always thought the word was romaji. But Romanji makes more sense...
>(Either way it wouldn't've helped me link the name with 'roman' till I was
>explicitly told...) Am I utterly wrong here?

Nope. The word is more exactly "roomaaji" (the two vowels are long, and
represented in katakana with the syllable followed by a horizontal line).
"roomaa" here corresponds to "Rome". The reason is that -ji, like -go (for
languages) must normally be suffixed to a placename (French, for instance,
is "furansugo" where "furansu" means "France". Russian is "roshiago" from
"roshia": Russia. There are exceptions of course, like "eigo" meaning
"English" when "England" is "igirisu". The explanation is as often
etymological. "eigo" corresponds to "eikoku", another term meaning
"England", where "koku" means "country"). So they took Rome for the job, a
sensible choice :))) .

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr