En réponse à Alexandre Lang :

>So [?] is just a pause? Or is there a difference?

There is a difference. The glottal stop exists in French only
non-phonemically, in front of words beginning with a vowel when pronounced
just after a pause (you get a little "click" or "clip" sound coming from
very far in the throat). Try it. You may not hear it at first, but you do
pronounce it for sure (it's physiologically inevitable. If you try to
pronounce a vowel after a pause, you will necessarily pronounce the glottal
stop).

When trying to imitate donkeys with the sounds usually transcribed as
"hi-han", French people often put a glottal stop between the two vowel
sounds too: [i?a~:].

I've personnally never had a problem with glottal stops and fricatives
([ah] is really simple: pronounce [a] and carry on blowing forcefully
without moving your mouth. At first what you'll get will probably be closer
to [ah:], but it's easy to train it to make it shorter). Other gutturals
like pharyngeals and epiglottals on the other hand have always eluded me...

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr