Other than knowing that it was a system for record-keeping, somewhat
like an abacus, I don't know many details, and most of the websites I
found are not particularly instructive in how the system worked, though
this one gives a very rudimentary idea:

http://www2.sfu.ca/archaeology/museum/laarch/inca/quie.html

I have a couple of books on order from Amazon - if they turn out to be
useful, I'll pass the titles along.