Costentin Cornomorus scripsit:

> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Shall we go out for an exotic meal of tempura
> > tonight, or stay in and have plain old
> > fritters?
>
> OK, I'll bite: what's the connotations of foreign
> food choices? I guess in this case between
> Japanese (?) and Pennsy Dutch. I'm much less
> certain of what either of them are, though
> fritters sound vaguely fried, though I'm pretty
> sure they're not chips.

Fritters and tempura are the same thing, essentially: items wrapped
in batter and deep-fried.  That's the point.  "Fry" and "fritter" are
doublets, BTW, both ultimately from Latin _frigere_ 'roast'.

--
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the          John Cowan
portrait of Mona Lisa good if I desire to see           [log in to unmask]