Alexandre Lang wrote:
> Is there any phonetical difference between [.] and [#] though, besides
> length?

Depends on the language.  In some languages there may be no distinction
at all, while in others there may be phenomena that only occur
word-finally, such as obstruent devoicing in German.

> So a vowel followed by a nasal always becomes nasalized?

No.  What I'm saying is that you could have a language with a rule that
says "vowels followed by a nasal in the same syllable become nasalized",
a common, but by no means universal, rule, or "vowels with a nasal in
the same syllable become nasalized", but not "vowels preceded by a nasal
become nasalized"

> Why is it not possible to build allophones only depending on the onset?

Don't know.  As far as I know, however, onsets don't affect vowels the
same way that codas do.  Perhaps because onsets are generally more
distinct than codas, and so there's less need for allophones.

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'.  Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -