On Friday, January 30, 2004, at 06:18 AM, Roger Mills wrote:

> Mark J. Reed wrote:
[snip]

> sphere, sphinx and related sphincter, Sfax-- certainly of non-native
> origin,
> though I'm sure they've been around a while.  Sometimes it's hard to draw
> the line.  If there are any Greek words with initial sigma-theta, then I
> suppose we could pronounce them too /sT.../.

Quite right - and there is one such word: 'sthenic' /'sTEnIK/ = strong,
robust,
morbidly active <-- ancient Greek: sthenos ="strength".

Ray
http://home.freeuk.com/ray.brown
[log in to unmask]    (home)
[log in to unmask]   (work)
"A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
interfere with language."         J.G. Hamann, 1760