On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 02:12 AM, Trebor Jung wrote:

> Merhaba!
>
> I've got ANOTHER question... Are there any languages that pluralize (e.g.
> ) nouns with prefixes?

Most certainly - _all_ the Bantulangs, which occupy quite a large area of
sub-Saharan Africa right down to the Cape. But these langs also
singularize nouns with prefixes  :)

Examples from Swahili:
SING.		PLURAL
mtu	       watu     (person ~ persons)
kitabu     vitabu   (book ~ books)
jicho      macho     (eye ~ eyes)
(Swahili, like the other Bantulangs, has several different classes of
nouns, each with its
own singular & plural prefix; the singular prefix is sometimes zero, e.g.
jibu ~ majibu "answer(s)")

Examples from Xhosa:
SING.       PLURAL
umntu      abantu    (person ~ persons)
isikolo    izikolo   (school ~ schools)
izinyo     amazinyo  (tooth  ~ teeth)

Of course, as Shreyas rightly observes, spoken French does just this, with
the additional funnction
of definiteness ~ indefiniteness, cf. the word for "school":
			SING.      PLURAL
   DEFINITE: /lekOl/   /lezekOl/
INDEFINITE: /ynekOl/  /dezekOl/

I'm certain there are many other examples among the world's languages.

Ray
http://home.freeuk.com/ray.brown
[log in to unmask]    (home)
[log in to unmask]   (work)
"A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
interfere with language."         J.G. Hamann, 1760