On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:08:35 +0100, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>At 07:31 29.1.2004, Herman Miller wrote:
>
>>On the other hand, the Latin alphabet doesn't have nearly enough vowels,
>>and the IPA symbols for retroflex sounds are convenient. So it's possible
>>that a mixed system of mostly Latin letters with some IPA might be a good
>>compromise.
>
>And cool to boot!  Why not?  It is essentially the same as some
>African languages do.
>
>/BP 8^)

I've noticed that a lot of the Latin Extended-B characters are described as
"African". I wish Daniels and Bright had more examples of these symbols. It
sounds like the basic approach in African scripts is similar to what I'm
thinking of: digraphs for sounds like /x/ and /G/, the IPA symbols for a
few common vowels like /E/, /O/, /@/, and so on. They mention that Cte
d'Ivoire uses , ,  for central vowels, which is the same thing that I
was planning on using them for.

--
languages of Azir------> ---<http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/index.html>---
hmiller (Herman Miller)   "If all Printers were determin'd not to print any