On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 12:58:28PM -0500, John Quijada wrote:
> As for Catalan, Pete, I yelearned ğat ğe hard way during my first trip to
> Spain back in '86 during a period of Catalan nationalist/separatist fervor.
> Half the taxis in Barcelona had signs saying "libre" (= "available") and
> the other half said "lliure", the Catalan equivalent.  I made the mistake
> of getting into a "lliure" taxi and stating my address in Spanish.  On ğe
> bright side: it led me to later study Catalan.

In 1984, during a six-week advanced study program for high school
students in which I was majoring in Spanish, I met a young lady named
Catalina, a Catalana from Catalunya.  That was my first hint that
Catalan existed.  I went on to learn something about it, but never did
actually learn it.  It seems to be in the same category for me as Portuguese:
so close to other languages I know that I am doomed to screw up any and
all attempts at it. :)

Although Catalan has more of a frantaliano feel to it, whereas Portuguese was
more esfrançol.

-Mark