Trebor Jung wrote:
> What are pharingial vowels or consonants?

Sounds produced by lowering the tongue root (that is, the very back of
the tongue) into the upper throat.  I found that it took quite a bit of
practice to get it.

> Does Chinese have /l/ or /r/, or both? It's claimed that Old Volapük
> has no /r/ because it's hard for Chinese people to pronounce, but I've
> seen <rén> given as a Chinese word.

Chinese (Mandarin, at least, I believe other languages) have both.  The
inventor of Volapuk was simply mistaken on the "r" issue.

> Is there a 'liquid trend' in
> southeast Asia, leaning towards one or the other?

Not that I know of.

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'.  Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -