En réponse à Philippe Caquant :

>I agree with list blocking. 100 messages a day is
>quite a lot - but if there are 100 contributors,
>that's just one message a day each, which is
>frustrating ! I had a (probably wrong ?) idea: why not
>split the list into 2 different ones, one about
>phonology and the other about syntax, semantics and
>others ? The majority of the messages I see are about
>phonology, and although I can very well understand
>that people can get passionated about that topic, it's
>just not my "cup of tea" and I regularly delete them
>after just a glance (even if sometimes I regret it
>just after deleting).

Already proposed, and already replied negatively to. The reason is simple:
it would split unnecessarily the community, would create misunderstandings
among newbies, and eventually would be useless as most people would have to
subscribe to both. And since discussions can move from phonology to syntax
to semantics and back to phonetics (everything is related), how can you
handle that with such an artificial separation? The answer is easy: you
cannot. So for all practical purposes, splitting the list is just not the
solution. The solution is own responsibility:
- read *every* mail you received from the list before answering any of
them. Big chances are that other people will have already replied the same
as you would have done, if not better. No need to duplicate replies (the
main cause of list holding, even more than OT posts in my opinion).
- think *very* carefully before answering. If the only reply you can give
is "great" or "yes", or something whose semantic contents is not bigger
than that, you'd better not reply. The only exception I make are "welcome"
messages to newbies. Even if you only want to say "welcome", making a
newbie feel at ease is more important than the daily limit IMHO.

Using only those two rules, I post probably only one fourth of what I would
post otherwise. A pretty big win in my opinion.

>I'm also a little bit perplex when receiving OT (or
>not OT) messages about exotic food or beverages. Uh,
>well, maybe it's a tradition here ? (I'm new and know
>little), but I thought the general themes were about
>linguistics, one way or another ?

The community feeling in this list is strong, and the off-topic posting is
a great part of it. It's one of the things that makes this list special and
for nothing in the world would I want to change that :) .

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr