What about an interpretation like:

Peter EQUALS Paul AS-TO-intelligence

I can hardly see something like an agent or a patient
here. The concept of "to equal" seems not to care
about such roles. IMO, there is a referent (the
intelligence), just if I would say "this car surpasses
that one as to power" (or beauty, or whatever). We
could imagine a case for that (some "referential" ?)

So what are the roles of Peter and Paul is this
sentence, I don't know, but linguists certainly have
some word for them.

--- Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> *1. Equality*
>
> OK then, let's start with an example: "Peter is as
> clever as Paul". In
> Ayeri, you would have "Peter (to be equally) clever
> -a-s- Paul", where
> "Peter" is the agent, "Paul" is the patient, but to
> make clear the
> phrase focusses on the patient, he/she/it is
> triggered. "To be equally"
> means >>camŠo<< in Ayeri and "clever" is >>alingo<<,
> so the sentence is
> translated >>Peterang camay‚ris aealingo Paulin<<.

> I asked about whehter you think this is senseible or
> not. What I mean is
> the use of the agent and patient here.

=====
Philippe Caquant

"He thought he saw a Rattlesnake / That questioned him in Greek: / He looked again, and found it was / The Middle of Next Week. / "The one thing I regret', he said, / "Is that it cannot speak !' " (Lewis Carroll)