Quoting Philippe Caquant <[log in to unmask]>:

> It is when you compare this final "word", Shtempa,
> with the "correct" form, "Je ne t'aime pas", that you
> realize the abyss existing between written and spoken
> French. And you might think that French sounds rather
> close to some Asiatic languages, much more than Latin.

I must agree on the last one - "shtempa" doesn't feel the slightest bit
Asiatic to me, but very much European. Add a slight German accent, move the
stress, and I'll be perfectly happy to spell it 'stemper'.

(I do realize characterizing the sound of a word as Asiatic makes little
sense, and as European not much more, but making sense have never been a
design goal for my prejudices.)

                                                     Andreas