On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:30:35 -0500, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As a member of the non-wired generation, voice-recog. didn't occur to me,
> but I suspect you're right-- the errors usually involve sound-alikes.
> In my
> fusty cynicism, I'd been assuming that the busy little typist was, as
> might
> be expected today, a poor speller................

AFAIK, they use a phonetic keyboard with a kind of alhpasyllablic layout,
rather than a normal qwerty Roman one, and then software picks words that
fit the phonetic shape. Apparently, it's a craft that requires significant
training.

http://www.robson.org/capfaq/online.html seems to talk about it, but I
admit to not having read the page beyond a few sentences.

Paul