On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 02:22  PM, Nik Taylor wrote:
> Steg Belsky wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 01:11  PM, takatunu wrote:
>>> Sorry if somebody already explained, but what is the taditional
>>> explanation
>>> for this king's name being "We Shall Rebel"?
>>> .
>>> www.conlang.free.fr
>>
>> Unfortunately i don't have any of my books of traditional commentaries
>> with me, but i'm pretty sure it's because Nimrod is seen as an evil
>> dictator who rebelled against God.
>
> So, is Nimrod's actual name known?  I would assume that he himself
> didn't go by such a name.  He, presumably, wouldn't've seen himself as
> rebel.  :-)

Since people's names in the Bible generally have significance beyond
just "that's what their parents named them", it's possible that
|Nimrod| was his real name.  Or possibly it's a Mesopotamian name from
some other language that just 'happens' to look like "we will rebel" in
Hebrew :) .

-Stephen (Steg)
  "Let them come.
   There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath."
      ~ gimli son of gloin, LotR:FotR (movie version, at least)