* Mark J. Reed said on 2004-03-30 22:13:11 +0200
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:14:27PM +0100, Ray Brown wrote:
> > > Or maybe the article inflects for case instead of the noun? Are
> > > there any real languages that do something like this?
>
> Yes, Basque.  Bare nouns cannot be inflected; only noun phrases can
> be, and the inflection goes on the "determiner".

And when there is no standalone "determiner" in the noun phrase, a
determining clitic/suffix attaches ityself to the leftmost word in the
noun phrase (unless this is a name of some sort). Really elegant system,
I'm tempted to use it in some conlang or other (other than Taruven)...

t.