An Alphagraphic Language

When we read we don't scan the words letter by letter, but take in the whole shape of the word at a glance.  With an unfamiliar word that we are seeing for the first time, the phonetic values of the letters are important, but as we become more familiar with the word the sounds of the individual letters becomes less important, and finally they become completely irrelevant because we recognize the whole word on sight by its shape.

One of the reasons that text written in all caps is harder to read is that caps lack the distinctive pattern of ascenders and descenders that helps define the shape of the word.
Since the sounds of the letters are only of value when a person is first learning to read, it seems like an alphabet could be designed to make reading faster and easier for the experienced reader, even if it meant requiring a bit more time to learn to read it.

What I propose is an alphabet of letters designed not to represent sounds, but designed to be as visually distinctive as possible, and designed to fit together side by side on a line so as to make graphical word forms that are as easy as possible to distinguish from one another.  The letters that make up a word are neither phonetic nor ideographic.  They are abstract squiggles that fit together to form longer abstract squiggles.  These abstract squiggles are assigned arbitrarily to words, just like we assign the 'f' sound to 'gh' in "enough" and think nothing of it.

Just because two words sound similar doesn't mean they would be "spelled" in a similar manner.  Imagine using the Roman alphabet and spelling "book" qIy and spelling "hook" JuuI, not because they sound like those letter combinations, but because they are easily distinguished at a glance by their shape.

Of course the language I have in mind would not use the Roman alphabet, but would use a new alphabet sepcifically designed so that there would be NO sound associated with any of the letters of that alphabet.  The would not really even be letters, just shapes, graphical elements used to "write" longer meaningful shapes that would stand for words.
Unlike a pure ideographic or pictographic language, this language would use only 25 or 30 graphical symbols.  But even though those symbols are strung together like letters, it wouldn't really be alphabetic either.  I call it an alphagraphic language.  Or art least that's what I WILL call it after I've designed it.

Any thoughts?

--gary