Hi!

Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Quoting Danny Wier <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > That one font in particular has a German _es-tzet_ ß that does resemble a
> > ligature of long and short 's', rather than Greek _beta_.
>
> Reminds me: I was taught back in school that eszett simply is a ligature of
> long s plus long zed, but various Germans I've met have insisted it's either a
> lig of long s plus short s, or one of h plus short s. I guess the above gotta
> suggest it's long s short s?

h + s??  I doubt that has ever been an option...

'Strahse'?  Guakh. :-)

Originally, in Fraktur fonts, int is a long s plus z, thus the name,
as you and Danny noted correctly.

However, in Latin fonts, it is now a very, very obfuscated glyph
variant of a long s + short s ligature.  I saw books written with a
more recognisable long s + short s ligature and I liked it a lot.
Yes, it looks nice.

**Henrik

> In Berlin, the street signs use a version that looks _alot_ like
> long s long zed.

You mean darker blue ones with white letters and in Fraktur font?
Yes, then it is definitely s + z. :-)

**Henrik