On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:41:06AM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> local dialect speakers in North Carolina and Tennessee actually
> derogate each others' dialects.

Now, that's a new word to me: "derogate".  It never occurred to me that
there must be a verb form to go with "derogatory".  Interestingly,
neither of my dictionaries links the two entries in any way.

> Americans think Canadians already speak American.

Well, Canadian is American, by definition. :) But I think the perception
is there because except for a very few distinctive quirks, Canadian dialects
fall well within the range of USAnian dialects, as opposed to, say, UK
and Australian dialects, which definitely sound furrin.

> Quebecois, on the other hand, are also proud of their dialect, but
> concede that hexagonal French is the standard variety:

Hexagonal?

-Mark