On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:06:54PM -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I left out FOOT before.

Thanks.

> > 	NURSE = CURE = LETTER
>
> Other people playing with the set should note that the [j] in "cure" is
> not part of the common factor; IMHO this keyword is poorly chosen:
> POOR would have been better.

Except that in my 'lect POOR is a homophone of PORE and sounds nothing
like CURE. :)

> In the sets involving R's, the R is part of the vowel being looked at.
> Thus, for BATH and START, there are three possibilities:  front vowel
> vs.  back vowel + rhotic, vowel neutralized but still non-rhotic vs.
> rhotic; distinction neutralized altogether.  It's not merely the
> r-coloring of the vowel that counts for rhotics, but the presence of
> the [r\] itself.

Ah.  What about the [l] in PALM?  Is that also part of the distinction?
Actually, the vowel I have in "-al-" ("palm", "call", etc.) seems to be
distinct from all the other vowels in my 'lect - perhaps an allophonic
variant of /a/ conditioned by the following /l/, but definitely not the
same phone.  Which means I have 20 distinct vowels, or perhaps 19;
the schwa in COMMA seems to be about the same as the vowel in STRUT.
Either way, though, that seems like more vowels than any one language
has any right to have. :)

FTR:

	BATH = TRAP
	CHOICE