--- Philippe Caquant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Interesting discussion. In French we write it
> "programme", but I always thought that the English
> wrote "program".

<snip>

> I usually always groups of three mnemonic
> letters, separed if possible by an underscore.
> Consonants should be used preferrably to vowels
> (this
> reminds us the Semitic roots,

<snip>

I work in aerodynamics and the variable names
in my programs are seldom abbreviated at all.
I happen to be looking at a piece of my code right
now with these variable names:
"lateralAcceleration", "totalPitchMomentFtLbs",
and "yawMomentDueToAsymetricThrust".  With a
million lines of code in an application it would
be pretty chaotic to try to dream up abbreviations
that some other programmer could understand.
Accuracy and specificity are absolute requirements.

--gary