Garth Wallace scripsit:
> >Cantonese has 11 tones at the emic level: split ping, shang, and qu
> >tones; high, medium, and low ru tones; and two "changed" (morphemic)
> >tones.  Etically there are only six, or seven in older usage.
>
> Wait, how can there be more tones at the emic level than at the etic
> level?

That's not too difficult: two are neutralized in certain contexts
(but two different ones, or we couldn't tell there were two). Or, for
those of a more morphological slant (like me),  some words simply
have tonal allomorphs that are triggered by some phonological environment.

Thomas Wier	       "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637