Gary Shannon scripsit:

> [I]t is
> perfectly acceptable to say something like "A brown is
> less agressive than a grizzly or a black."  My earlier
> citation came from a wildlife web page and included
> the statement "Browns are ominverous ..."

Which leads to the handbook for what to do when attacked by a bear:

Brown or grizzly:  Play dead.  The bear will probably sniff you and
go away.

American black bear:  It's starving.  Fight back at all costs, using
whatever is handy: sticks, stones, etc.

Polar bear:  Don't worry about it.  You *will* be killed and eaten.

--
John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>     http://www.reutershealth.com
han mathon ne chae, a han noston ne 'wilith.  --Galadriel, LOTR:FOTR