On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:17:37 +0100, Chris Bates
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Actually, yes.  Tagalogs put a glottal stop between
>>two vowels that are written together.  Tagalogs even
>>exhibit this tendency when reading something in
>>English.
>>

>It seemed that there should be... I don't know why, its just the book
>said "pronounce the vowels separately"... and to make them very distinct
>when I try seems to involve inserting a glottal stop. I think it was
>trying to avoid scaring people with saying "glottal stop" in case they
>didn't know what one was.

When I first started learning Esperanto, I used a glottal stop between
vowels as in my native Tagalog:  "Kion vi opinias?"  ['ki?on 'vi ?opi'ni?
as]

I actually think Esperanto sounds better that way.  It's more clear than
the Spanishy segue...  When I listen to China Radio Internacia, some
Chinese announcers also put glottal stops in their Esperanto speech; it's
probably an influence of Mandarin patterns.

--Viktor