--- Danny Wier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> From: "Steg Belsky" <[log in to unmask]> (to me)
>
> > > I'm looking up _qitt_ 'cat' in the online Arabic
> dictionary
> > > (http://dictionary.ajeeb.com/); the verb _qatta_
> means 'cut' or
> > > 'trim', but
> > > I doubt the words are related, since the word
> for 'cat' is probably a
> > > loanword from a Nilo-Saharan language (as is
> English 'cat', French
> > > _chat_,
> > > German _Katz_, Spanish _gato_, Russian _kotec_
> etc. etc. etc.).
> > > Incidentally, Muhammad was a cat lover,
> according to legend.
> >
> > Hmm... that makes me wonder where the Hebrew term,
> |hhatul|
> > (non-emphatic T), comes from.
>
> חתול might be of Aramaic origin, but I can't
> find an online Aramaic
> dictionary (just a Peshitta concordance) so I can't
> say. Or Akkadian maybe?
> Anyway, I don't think it's related to Arabic قط
> since the 't' in the latter
> is emphatic (I forgot to indicate that in my

Asa far as the origin of "cat" in the European
languages, my Spaninsh etymological dictionary says:

Gato 'mamfero carnvero domstico, _Felis cattus_':
latn tardo _cattus_, _gattus_ 'gato', posiblemente
de origen camtico (de la misma familia que el berber
_kaddska_ y que el nubiense _kadi:s, los dos =
'gato').

Adam

=====
Indjindrud edjuebu ul Azor ad ul Sadoc.  Indjindrud edjuebu ul Sadoc ad ul Acim.  Indjindrud edjuebu ul Acim ad ul Eliud.  Indjindrud edjuebu ul Eliud ad ul Eleazar.  Indjindrud edjuebu ul Eleazar ad ul Matan.    Indjindrud ul Matan ad ul Jagovu.  Indjindrud edjuebu ul Jagovu ad ul Jozevu ul maridu djal Maja dji fin ninadud ul Jezu fin nicuamad Cristu.

Machu 1:14-16