In a message dated 4/23/2004 10:25:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I figured
>it would assimilate to [F], which got me thinking about [F] in general.
>The fact that it has a symbol in the IPA makes me suppose that, unlike
>the corresponding labiodental plosive, it is contrasted with [m] and [n]
>in some language?  Which one(s)?

Pullum & Ladusaw's _Phonetic Symbol Guide_ says:

"What is extraordinariliy rare is for a labiodental nasal to contrast with a
bilabial nasal phonologically; indeed, it appears that when this symbol was
approved by the IPA, and for a long time afterward, no instance was known.
However, a language with such a contrast has since been described . . . the Kukuya
dialect known as Teke has [F] contrasting with both [m] and a labiodental
fricative."

Doug