--On Wednesday, April 21, 2004 1:39 PM -0400 John Quijada
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Philippe Caquant wrote:
>
> Your statements point out quite clearly the flaw in approaching semantics
> from a syntactic perspective, as Jackendoff does.  IMHO, the only group of
> linguists so far who are on the right track when it comes to semantics are
> the cognitivists such as Leonard Talmy, Gilles Fauconnier and George
> Lakoff.  Talmy's 2-volume set "Toward a Cognitive Semantics" has been
> extremely influential in my own conlanging efforts.

I was reading this post the other day and was intrigued and tried to find a
copy of this book to read up on these theories. I was rather disappointed
to see that the only copy the library owns has been checked out until much
later this year. And it wasn't until today that I took a closer look at the
class schedule I had registered for next semester to find out that my
semantics class here at the University at Buffalo will be taught by none
other than Professor Talmy himself! I hope it proves to be an interesting
course.

Levi Tooker