Quoting Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>:

> Personally, I *think* in terms of the following colors
> - black, white, grey, red, green, blue, yellow,
> orange, purple, pink, beige, aqua and brown.

I think of white, black, red, blue, yellow, green as the "primitive" colours,
which I guess matches with that perceptional set someone mentioned earlier in
this thread.

With the apparently fairly liberal definition of "basic" going around here, I
guess also grey, brown, pink, orange, purple counts, but they're certainly less
basic that the first six.

Torquoise is a fancy name for bluish greens and greenish blues. Beige is a
species  of brown. Aqua is Latin for water - I'm not even sure what colour it's
supposed to refer to.

                                                          Andreas