Je 12.55 ptm 2004.04.26, Paul O. BARTLETT skribis
>On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Kjell Rehnström wrote (trimmed):
>
> >                                            But the principle for such a
> > language must be "minimal effort for the least number of people", and
> > such a language will have to be a western one, considered that Western
> > languages are what people have got to learn.
>
>     Don't you mean "minimal effort for the *greatest* number of
>people"?  And why is it that it is western languages that people
>have to learn?  That could change over time.

There seem to be some indications that the shift toward Chinese, at least
in Asia -- which some of us have anticipated, but did not expect to
actually take place during our lifetimes -- is already starting, perhaps
aided and abetted by the gradual closing of the U.S. and British
educational establishments to third-world students that may be resulting
from the intensification of visa restrictions in those countries.

-- Don HARLOW