Philippe Caquant scripsit:

> The Latin tranlisteration is of course not satisfactory, because
> everybody will use his own transliteration, just as I do when I'm
> trying to transliterate Russian for ex.

Distinguish between transliteration and transcription.
Transliteration is letter-by-letter and independent of language,
though its particular conventions may be of course influenced
by one language or another; still, once we have agreed on it,
it works.  The standard Latin-alphabet transliteration of
Tibetan is hopelessly misleading about pronunciation, but it
does permit exact reconstruction of the original Tibetan-script text.

Transcription is more ad-hoc, is from language to language, and
may or may not be reversible.

--
[W]hen I wrote it I was more than a little              John Cowan
febrile with foodpoisoning from an antique carrot       [log in to unmask]