On Fri, 07 May 2004 15:54:12 -0400, Trebor Jung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Tamas wrote:
>
> "It would be another topic for hot debates: wheather PU/PFU had long
> vowels
> or not."
>
> Hmm. Interesting question. Where could long vowels come from? What
> phonological processes could trigger the creation of phonemic vocalic
> length?

Maybe the process of (Intervocalic Voiced) Stop -> Fricative -> Glide ->
Zero ?

Maybe (Voiced) Aspirated -> Breathy -> Schwa glide -> Schwa assimilation ?

Both of those are plausible to me (after only a second or five thinking
about it), although I cannot speak for the actual processes involved in
PU/PFU.

Paul