"Kayui tokoro made..." as they say, I checked in my dusty boxes the "Bumpou"
(volume II) of the Japanese Language Institute of the "Japan Foundation"
(Kokusai Kouryuu Kikin--You might kow this book, it's a Japanese grammar in
Japanese for teachers teching Japanese as a second language.)

"Tai" alone monopolizes pages 30 to 35 (!)
The last page refers to situations where politeness is at stake with verbs
like "morau", "suisen suru", etc.
The  writes that then it is possible (exactly: "matomeru koto ga dekiyou")
to use wo instead of ga in the two following cases:
"(1) Taishou to naru mono ga hito no baai"
"(2) Koubunjou, taishou wo arawasu igai no kaku (frame) wo hitsuyou to suru
no baiai."

Plus another possibility is: "bunriten, tsuukaten wo arawasu" (this one is I
guess for sentences like "yama wo arukitai.")

Looks like a rule with exceptions.

.
http://conlang.free.fr

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

takatunu wrote:
> OK, so yes: There is something to bicker about. :) Both of us seem to have
> completely different view about this all: To me "pai ga tabetai" is the
only
> legal form although "pai wo tabetai" is heard and I understand it as
making
> the whole phrase [pai_wo_taberu] a desiderative--but I don't share your
> experience of its being more common.
Well, whether it's more common or not, it *does* occur, and my grammar
books say both are legal.  In fact, one of them only gives a single
example of -tai with a transitive verb, and that one uses _wo_.
And, also, I'm fairly sure that I have heard the _wo_ form more often
than _ga_, but frequency isn't the point - that it occurs and is legal
is the point.
<<<<<