On Mon, 03 May 2004 18:40:39 -0700, Akhilesh Pillalamarri
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Everywhere I've read, it says the sound [a] is the most common sound in
> human speech; my personal experience with language agrees with that. I
> wonder now, is the sound [a] found in every language?

What I learned was that no one sound is found in every language. I used to
have a chart somewhere with various frequencies of sounds. ISTR /a/ was
quite high up there. I do remember that if a language has nasals, it will
have at least /n/ but that's not what you were asking about.

Paul