From: "John Cowan" <cowan@...>

> Chomsky was a leftist long before he was a linguist, and has been
> more or less continuously denouncing American foreign policy since
> the Vietnam War.  (Which in Vietnam is called the American War, not
> illogically.)  You can easily find American yahoos who will denounce
> Chomskyan linguistics, and indeed linguistics generally, as a criminal
> enterprise on the strength of Chomsky's political opinions.

I was reading the Wikipedia article on him last night (and yes, I do intend
to keep any political discussion here to a minimum). His degree is in
linguistics; his politics, which are actually anarchist-left and very
anti-Marxist as well as anti-capitalist, are a hobby that he happens to be
very good at.

I haven't read his linguistic or political writings yet, however, and since
I have an intense interest in both fields, I ought to.

~Danny~ Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.