> I'm curious as to why the readings are placed in a list as opposed
> to being noted as CDATA in attribute values.
>
> [why not:]>
>
> <app>
> <rdg wit="La" text="Experiment thogh noon Auctoritee">
> <rdg wit="Ra2" text="Eryment though none auctorite">
> Experience though noon Auctoritee ...
>
> I'm just wondering why one is used as opposed to the other.

I've not used the app. crit. features of TEI, so I'm probably missing
something, but I think most of us agree that preserving literal,
transcribed text only as an attribute value--and this would be
an extreme example of that--is something to be avoided, at least partly
because it assumes that the text in question would never itself
need to contain markup. E.g. what would you do to this reading?

<rdg wit="La" text="<ABBR
EXPAN="Experiment">Ex&persymbol;im&etilde;tt</ABBR>
<HI>thogh</HI> noon Auctorit<ADD>i</ADD>ee">

pfs
Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfs/
316 Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205