Dieter Köhler wrote:

> Jedit was the candidate that come closest to my expectations.  But based
> on Java, I had trouble to get it installed on old university machines
> which had not the performance needed to run Java apps smoothly.

OK, understood.

> Trying out TEI-Emacs was a real pain.  It installed itself in the
> Autostart folder

really? I have installed it many times when testing, and
have never seen it end up in autostart!

(I guess only one out of 100 Humanities students knows
> how to get rid of Emacs starting whenever the computer is switched on --
> the rest will think the machine had been the victim of a virus), it
> messed up the registry

??? you amaze me. I thought it did very little in the registry

> and the directory system because it does not
> understand umlauts in a user name (as a result of this the file open
> dialog does not work properly), and it created autosave files in a
> .emacs.d folder directly under "C:".

ah, that issue. I think thats solved now.

> beside the fact that I never come across a program which so completely
> failed to install, consider that each problem, which might be very
> simple to fix for you, takes a novice hours to figure out a solution (if
> she succeeds at all).  Even if Emacs had installed correctly and the
> bugs in the help system had been corrected, it would not meet the "easy
> to use" criterion.

interesting how radically different perceptions and
experiences can be. I have never considered emacs as
anything other than a very simple install.

> I do not think that a tool which suits all groups is actually possible.
> Neither do I think that my editor is the best possible tool for teaching
> XML.  However, using it the students mastered the basic tasks of typing,
> wellformedness-testing and validating the document very quickly.

some might argue that people learning XML should not have to
type tags at all.....
--
Sebastian Rahtz      Information Manager
Oxford University Computing Services