On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:28:11 +0100, Peter Bleackley
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Is there any language where tense is marked on a noun rather than the verb?
>It seems that English is heading towards tense being marked on the subject,
>but is the process complete in any language?
>
>Pete

There are a number of languages (including Tariana, Somali, and Salish)
that mark tense on the noun or noun phrase, though I don't think any have
nominal marking to the exclusion of verbal marking.

Here are a couple of links to pdf's that address nominal marking in detail:

three by Nordlinger & Sadler -

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~louisa/newpapers/snlfg01.pdf

http://csli-publications.stanford.edu/LFG/5/lfg00nordlinger-sadler.pdf

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~louisa/newpapers/nov18lge-revised.pdf