Quoting Christophe Grandsire <[log in to unmask]>:

> En réponse à Hemmo :

> >AU: like Duch/English OU, German AU
>
> Once again, especially in English, this has myriads of pronunciations,
> depending on dialect and word. Even in Dutch and German, this diphtongue
> has various pronunciations depending on the dialect. I suppose you mean
> something like /aw/, but how can I know it's not /aU/ or even /au/?

Assuming those were meant to be square brackets, not slashes, what's the
difference 'tween [aw] and [au] (assuming the later to be monosyllabic)?

BTW, I was of the impression that the Dutch diphthong was [AU]?

(The German one does tend to have a backy first element - some of my textbooks
transcribed it as [Ao], altho it usually sounds more like [AU] to me. Duden
writes [au] (with a tiebar), but that's loose transcription.)

> >R: rolling R
>
> Which one? I can roll two different ones with little in common with each
> other.

To top it off, I'm willing to bet that neither of Christophe's two is the one
that comes most naturally to me.

> >U: A shorter English OO, French OU, Dutch OE
> >I: A shorter English EE, Dutch IE
> >O, short: short Dutch O
> >O, long: like English O as in Open, long Dutch O

I was under the impression the long Dutch 'o' was a monophthong?

> >A, short: like English A as in America, short Dutch A

I'm afraid I've got a schwa in the first syllable of 'America' (when speaking
English), while I thought short Dutch 'a' was [A].

                                                Andreas