On Sunday, June 13, 2004, at 06:26 , John Cowan wrote:
[snip]
> Still later, s- became perfectly fine: there is no synchronic evidence for
> prefixing in French today -- as opposed to Spanish and Turkish, where it
> is
> very much alive (though it's i- in Turkish, as in I-stanbul < Stambul <
> [Kon]stantinopoul[os]).

Non, no - 'Stambul' is from northern Greek [stm='bul] = standard modern
Greek [stim'boli]/stin poli/ = in the City/to the City.

The Byzantine Greeks, I believe, habitually referred to the capital simply
as "the City".

Ray
http://home.freeuk.com/ray.brown
[log in to unmask]    (home)
[log in to unmask]   (work)
"A mind which thinks at its own expense will always
interfere with language."         J.G. Hamann, 1760