On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 03:45:59PM +0200, Andreas Johansson wrote:
> As for ')' to indicate affricates and coarticulations, I do not much like it

I now agree, despite the fact that it's rarely technically ambiguous from a
parsing standpoint.  I personally am not a great parser, neither
recursive-descent nor LALR(n) nor any other kind, so the simpler the
better. :)  Given the other use of parentheses, I withdraw my suggestion
for '(' as non-syllabicity diacritic.

> (in the JXS system I created such are enclosed in '{' '}', if the need is felt
> to indicate them explicitly)

Which I believe won't work in CXS, because the replacement of '{' and
'}' by other symbols was a swap, IIRC, so those are still segments.

What about [ and ]?  Are those available?

If we could free up {, I'd like to see it be the non-syllabicity diacritic.

-Marcos