Quoting "Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>:

> > (in the JXS system I created such are enclosed in '{' '}', if the need is
> felt
> > to indicate them explicitly)
>
> Which I believe won't work in CXS, because the replacement of '{' and
> '}' by other symbols was a swap, IIRC, so those are still segments.

They're not assigned to anything in my copy of the CXS chart.

> What about [ and ]?  Are those available?

I believe they are, but given the use of square bracket to delinate phonetic
transcripts, it would be ugly, and make parsing harder.

> If we could free up {, I'd like to see it be the non-syllabicity diacritic.

As said, it's free as far as I'm aware. I still dislike using brackets and
parantheses for other than enclosing something, but it sure would be a lesser
evil than '('.

                                               Andreas