Regarding consent:
I had the pleasure of adopting a boy from Thailand last year, and he
remained in the legal custody of the adoption agency for 9 months after his
arrival, until we were able to finalize the adoption.  During that time, we
sought medical care many times in hospitals and clinics.  I was never asked
if I was his legal guardian, and never volunteered that I wasn't.  It would
have meant extra hassle, but I would have answered honestly if asked.  So,
if we want to improve our understanding about guardianship and legal
consent, I think the first step is to increase our diligence in asking the
appropriate questions.
Julie

Julie Brown, MD, MPH
Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 5D-1
Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center
4800 Sand Point Way NE, PO Box 5371
Seattle, WA 98105-0371
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
fax: 206 527 3892

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this e-mail message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: