At Cook Children's in Fort Worth we have a policy that does not confirm that they are the parent, but does at least confirm who the person it that claimed to be the parent/consenting adult should a question .  Our registration staff makes a copy of the person's drivers license or other official ID.

Maggie Huey, BSN, MHA

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 07/26/04 02:22PM >>>
Question to the group.

I recently received an email from my risk management/performance improvement department. They wanted to know if my ED has any policy on identifying legal guardians of children when they come to the ED. If so, what ID is taken from the parent or the guardian. Does anyone verify that the person claiming to be the parent really is? If so, how is this verification done? What do you do with parents who claim they have no ID.

Does anyone have such a policy for parental ID. I would understand Inpatient Pediatrics having such a policy regarding children being picked up at discharge. I do not know about ED.

Please respond to the group or to me at [log in to unmask]

Nooruddin Tejani, MD FAAP
Director,
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
SUNY-Downstate Medical Center
Brooklyn, New York

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Cook Children's Health Care System

This e-mail, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments
transmitted may contain information that is confidential and
privileged. This information is intended only for the use of
the individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If
you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are
prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use
of this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a
violation of federal or state law and regulations.

If you have received this information in error, please notify
Cook Children's Health Care System immediately at (682)885-4000
or via e-mail at [log in to unmask] Cook Children's
Health Care System, its subsidiaries, and affiliates hereby
claim all applicable privileges related to this information.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: