Don skribis:

>To a great extent, for most people this is due to a lack of motivation
>and/or opportunity.

There may be a problem of motivation, but the opportunity appears to be
there.  I was taught two foreign languages as school.  As an adult I have
tried to learn at least one more, but I havent reached full fliuency in any
of them.  If I had the motivation I could do evening classes and maybe get
fliuent that way.  But to be honest, I find Ido more fun...

>Nonetheless, most studies show that this "propaedeutic" effect really
>works, though, of course, there is some dependency on the relationship
>between languages.

I think it may have a lot to do with the relationship between the languages.
  I reached a high standard (still some way short of fluency) in French, but
this didnt prepare me for German, which I just found a nightmare.  Later I
tried to learn Spanish and I cant say my French helped me there either.
Learning irregularities, exceptions to rules just doesnt help you learn
other irregularities.  I guess I just prefer regular, rule-based systems.

>The solution, of course, is to make one of the two "foreign languages"
>common to all Europeans, and then allowing the insistence on a second
>foreign language to die on the vine. This seems to be the solution the
>Eurarchs are actually aiming for, despite any claims of a "trilingualist"
>policy.

You're right of course - it's all a ruse to make English the Common European
Language.  The EU is a big con trick run by a bunch of professional con
artists.  There is no real commitment to Democracy, in linguistic or other
matters.  Sadly.

Kordiale, James Chandler

Selling weapons since '86 to Iraq, and I wondered about that.  During
the Persian Gulf War, those intelligence reports before it all started:
"Oh, Iraq, they have incredible weapons, incredible weapons."
"How do you know that?"
"Well ... we looked at the receipt ... but as soon as that cheque
clears, we're goin' in.  What time's the bank open?  Eight?  We're
going in at nine ... for God 'n' country 'n' ... here's a flag.
Whatever symbol y'all need.  Let's go!  Come on, we're killing sand
niggers.  Let's go!"
- Bill Hicks, at the Oxford Playhouse, 1992

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger