En réponse à Tristan Mc Leay :

>>If only the people at the French Academy discovered that...
>
>What, they criticise the way people talk?

Yes.

>  I thought they (and all such
>Academies) were limited to the written language.

They are only because influencing the spoken language is much more
difficult than influencing the written language. But they do influence the
way French grammar is taught at school, and thus hope that they can
influence the way French people speak.

And it works (somewhat). Dialectical variation is nearly dead in French. In
pronunciation variations are still important (nothing compared to
variations in English or Dutch though), in lexicon there are *some*
variations, but in grammar French is nearly monolithic. And that's all due
to the French Academy and the rather strong approach taken in French school
in teaching French until about 30 years ago (basically, until not so long
ago, speaking in anything that wasn't standard French as recognised by the
Academy at school would result in corporal punishments. The generation of
my father still suffered from that - along with corporal punishments for
anyone who "dared" use their left hand to write -. I'm from the first
generation that didn't have to suffer from it).

OK, that was my fifth mail. So any other question about it will have to
wait until tomorrow for me to be able to answer it :) .

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr