On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:16:16 +1000, Tristan Mc Leay <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>Paul Bennett wrote:
>> J. 'Mach' Wust [snip] wrote:
>>> Regarding SAMPA (or CXS or X-SAMPA): I always confuse the digits used
>>> for the representation of sounds, mainly '2' and '9' which I use most.
>>> Has anybody already suggested the use of e\ and E\?
>
>Learn French. I believe it has [2] for _deux_ and [9] for _neuf_.

How could I not see it? That's really helpful, thanks!

>Alternatively, [2] is the secondary second cardinal vowel. Or going
>anticlockwise (which seems to be the normal way, starting at [i]), you
>come to [2] before [9], and 2 is lower than 9.

That's also helpful: If I associate _i_ to _1_, then it's almost as easy as
1, 2, 3. Thanks for your memorizing helps; that was just what I needed.

>> I've seen /E\/ used for the vowel between /e/ and /E/, likewise /O\/ for
>> the vowel between /o/ and /O/, and /A\/ for the vowel between /a/ and
>> /A/, that is a tense /6/. I'm not sure how standardised this is, but
>> I've seen it in more than one place.
>
>Hmm, I've never seen that (but maybe I was asleep). It seems odd, unless
>some language in question distinguishes /e/ from /E/ from something in
>between, because if you've only got one mid vowel, you generally use /e/.

If you want to represent an intermediate vowel between those two, you can
manage with "_r" and "_o". My suggestion of _e\, E\_ instead of _2, 9_ was
rather in analogy to the suggestion of _&_ instead of _{_: they result much
more practical to me. But now, I've less troubles with _2, 9_.

g_0ry@_^s:
j. 'mach' wust